It’s never easy to lose a loved one, including a pet. If you are looking for a way to honor the memory of your pet, here are a few ideas:
- Hold a memorial service at a pet cemetery, in your backyard, or a special place that your pet loved.
- Give your pet a gravestone.
- Create a living memorial such as a plant, tree, or a flower bed.
- Contact a pet cemetery or community park to see if you can donate a bench or tree. Then add an acknowledgment plaque memorializing your pet.
- Look through old photos of your pet or watch old home videos featuring the pet with your family.
- Have an animal movie marathon. Watch your favorite pet movies like Air Bud, Beethoven, You, Me, and Marley, etc…
- Create art inspired by your pet such as a painting or drawing, a sculpture, a poem or story, or a song.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter to help other pets.
- Consider, when the time is right, adopting or fostering another pet so you can offer a loving home to other furry pals.
The Animal Emergency and Referral Center of Minnesota offers a Pet Loss Support group, If you are still healing from the loss of your pet, consider attending a meeting. Being surrounded by others who know what you are feeling is a great source of support.