The Only Locally-Owned Emergency and Specialty Hospital in Minnesota

Top 7 Hanukkah Pet Dangers


Happy Hanukkah! The holiday season is a busy time in the pet ER. From the décor to the gifts to the food, there are a lot of potential dangers to our pets. Below are seven tips on how to keep your pets safe this Hanukkah.

1. Menorahs

While it’s fun to include your pets in many family traditions, this isn’t one of them. Pets should be kept in a separate room while the Menorah candles are lit. This will prevent your curious cat from burning her paw or your happy pup’s wagging tail from knocking over the Menorah and starting a fire.

2. Dreidels

These popular toys can be dangerous if your pet decides to chew or eat them. Dreidels could cause gastrointestinal foreign body obstruction. If they are chewed on, a piece of the toy could break off which could be a choking hazard or cause irritation to the esophagus.

3. Gelt

These chocolate gold coins are a Hanukkah favorite for the kids, but keep them away from the fur kids! Not only is chocolate toxic to dogs, but the gold foil wrappers can cause intestinal issues to both cats and dogs if swallowed- which is likely since most pets don’t remove the wrappers.

4. Latke

This traditional fried potato pancake is a high-fat treat that could cause pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) if eaten by your pet. Additionally, latke is often made with onions which are toxic to both cats and dogs. Even a small amount of onion could harm your pet’s red blood cells.

5. Beef Brisket

This main dish is dangerous to pets for three reasons:

  • The salty seasoning can cause sodium ion poisoning in pets.
  • The bones can break your pet’s teeth, become stuck in your pet’s throat, esophagus, or gastrointestinal tract, cause your pet to choke, or cause an obstruction in the stomach or intestines.
  • High-fat meats like brisket can cause pancreatitis.

6. Sufganiyot

These jelly doughnuts are a sugary, high-fat pastry that could cause pancreatitis. Pets may also experience vomiting, diarrhea, and decreased appetite.

7. Yeast Dough

If you are making challah or other homemade bread, keep your pets out of the kitchen! Yeast dough is very dangerous to pets. It can cause alcohol toxicity and stomach bloating which can be life-threatening.

Happy Hanukkah! If your pet does experience an emergency during Hanukkah, both our St. Paul and Oakdale emergency animal hospitals are open 24/7, every day of the year. If your family veterinarian is unavailable, our team is ready to help!


Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

HAVE A NON-MEDICAL QUESTION? FOR MEDICAL QUESTIONS, PLEASE CALL US.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Font Resize
Contrast
Oakdale St. Paul Text Us