Locally-Owned in Oakdale and St. Paul, Minnesota

Look Out for Gorilla Glue | The Dangers of Gorilla Glue for Pets

Gorilla Glue, gorilla glue dangers to pets, dangers of ingesting gorilla glue, pet emergency, cyano-bezoars, pet health, Animal Emergency & Referral Center of Minnesota, Twin Cities animal emergency hospital, Saint Paul animal emergency hospital

Unfortunately, the useful nature of Gorilla Glue becomes hazardous to the curious pet! Typically, dogs are the culprit as they ingest the glue from recent spills, from a dab of fresh glue on a paper towel, or from chewing on the bottle itself.  While the product is nontoxic, the ingestion of this glue will still lead to serious complications for pets.

What Happens When a Pet Consumes Gorilla Glue

When swallowed by our pets, Gorilla Glue immediately reacts with the esophageal and stomach fluids, rapidly expanding and then hardening into a foam-like, fitted, indigestible mass.  Even seemingly small amounts, once ingested, can lead to gastrointestinal obstructions as the materials expand to 3-4 times their original volume! These masses are called cyano-bezoars.

Signs of a Cyano-Bezoar Include:

  • Vomiting
  • Bloated abdomen
  • Pain
  • Refusing to eat
  • Lethargy

These symptoms may occur at any time from 15 minutes to 20 hours post-exposure to the Gorilla Glue.

Gorilla Glue, gorilla glue dangers to pets, dangers of ingesting gorilla glue, pet emergency, cyano-bezoars, pet health, Animal Emergency & Referral Center of Minnesota, Twin Cities animal emergency hospital, Saint Paul animal emergency hospital

Treatment

While the ingestion of small quantities of the glue may develop into objects tiny enough to pass through a large dog, most cyano-bezoars require surgical removal. At surgery, most of these foam-objects will shell easily out of the stomach in one piece!

What Should I Do If My Pet Gets Into Gorilla Glue?    

In cases of known ingestions of Gorilla Glue, the pet should be immediately examined and radiographs and/or ultrasound be pursued.  Inducing vomiting at home is not recommended as the material may lodge in the esophagus or be aspirated into the lungs.  While surgery is generally required, the actual removal of the material is reported to be quite easy and complete.  Unless there are anesthetic or surgical complications, the prognosis with surgical intervention is typically good.

Gorilla Glue, gorilla glue dangers to pets, dangers of ingesting gorilla glue, pet emergency, cyano-bezoars, pet health, Animal Emergency & Referral Center of Minnesota, Twin Cities animal emergency hospital, Saint Paul animal emergency hospital

The best prevention is to keep your pets out of the room when using Gorilla Glue and to promptly cleanup any spills. If you suspect your pet got into Gorilla Glue, seek veterinary care from your family veterinarian or local animal emergency hospital. Animal Emergency & Referral Center of Minnesota’s Oakdale and St. Paul ERs are open 24/7, every day of the year. Always call ahead of your arrival.

 

Animal Emergency & Referral Center of Minnesota, Fast Track Triage, color-coded triage system, pet emergency, Twin Cities emergency vet, Minnesota emergency vet, Saint Paul emergency vet, Oakdale emergency vet

 

HAVE A NON-MEDICAL QUESTION? FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Oakdale St. Paul Text Us