Oakdale
p. 651-501-3766
f. 651-501-3763
1163 Helmo Avenue North
Oakdale, MN 55128
 
St. Paul
p. 651-293-1800
f. 651-291-1337
1542 W 7th St.
St Paul, MN 55102
 

5 Common Holiday Plants That Are Toxic to Pets

Posted December 5, 2017 @ 12:56pm | by Stephanie Pylka, DVM

Holiday time is here and that means holiday decorations! As fun as it is to be festive for the season, holiday plants can potentially be toxic to your pets. When decorating, it is important to be aware of where you are placing plants and decor to prevent pets from getting into things that could be dangerous to them and result in a visit to the veterinarian. 

Yew
Yew is a common green used in wreaths and decor. This can be very toxic to both cats and dogs if eaten. Signs include tremors, difficulty breathing, vomiting, seizures (dogs), and even death.

 

 

Christmas Trees/Wreaths
The decorations on your tree can be dangerous to your pet, but also the tree itself can be dangerous! If eaten, the needles from Christmas trees and wreaths can be irritating and potentially cause intestinal obstructions. Also, the water can be toxic as it can contain bacteria, pesticides, and mold.

Poinsettia
Poinsettias are very common decorative plants. Before bringing one into your home, make sure to think about where you are going to put it! Both cats and dogs can get oral and stomach irritation from chewing on the flowers and leaves. Signs include hypersalivation, lip licking, and vomiting.

 

Holly and Mistletoe
Both holly and mistletoe are common in holiday decor. If chewed on, the leaves can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and depression. Make sure to place arrangements up away from where pets can get to them. Also, remember that cats are curious and can jump on to shelves to access things! 

 

Amaryllis
This is a common winter, bulb plant that you can purchase and grow at home. If dogs eat the bulb, it has the potential for causing an intestinal obstruction. Chewing on the flowers and leaves can also lead to vomiting, diarrhea, depression, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia and even tremors.

We hope you and your pet have a safe and happy holiday season! If you are concerned that your pet has eaten a toxic plant, please contact your family veterinarian or emergency clinic IMMEDIATELY.

If you are wanting to see if a plant you have in your home is toxic you can reference the ASPCA - Poisonous Plant List.

 
Filed Under: Community |   | Permalink
 
 
 
Comments powered by Disqus